What was the first film you remember seeing?

This is the first of our series of questions for people in the comments, so let me introduce the idea. I’ll ask you a question, like today’s, “What was the first film you remember seeing?” and you either answer in the comments or on your own blog and drop a link to the post. So that’s the theory, let’s kick it off…

Question:

What was the first film you remember seeing?

Here’s my answer:

I specifically remember watching Star Wars when I was very young. It gave me nightmares. I remember dreaming that I was in that escape pod with C3PO and R2D2. When it flies out of the ship, they look out of round window back at the ship and then it cuts to the outside shot and you can see an exhaust pipe at the back that is big and black. So clearly it made me think that there was no back to the space ship. And that while the other two were holding on, I kept thinking I was going to fall out. I think I was probably about 25 at the time*.

* Maybe it was about five or six. I didn’t watch the film properly for years after.

So what was the first film you remember seeing?

26 thoughts on “What was the first film you remember seeing?

1. Andy Theyers says:

The first film that I clearly remember was Bambi. Likewise, it gave me nightmares. And then Call of the Wild. That gave me nightmares too. Films are rubbish!

2. LukehMuse says:

I think for me it was Look Who's Talking because of the irrational fear I had growing up of toilets with blue seats and an angry face and giant teeth. That film definitely destroyed any kind of toilet training as a baby but I soon learned my ways I suppose :)Good film though, the voices in it are very funny and my conclusion as a baby was something I am sadly unable to remember. I probably loved it though.Apart from that damn toilet.

Andy it's pretty clear that films are a lot more scary than one would think!

Lukeh I've seen that movie several times but I don't remember that toilet.

5. RubberGoat says:

I don't know about which film, probably Star Wars. I remember asking my Dad why at the beginning it said it was Episode IV and he laughed and told me that I must have seen it wrong :DI have been told that as a baby, I cried when Vincent Price did his rap on Thriller or when an advert for Terry's Chocolate Orange came on that was supposed to be like Indiana Jones!

6. Turkey Machine says:

Baby's Day Out. God bless my Grandad and his Sky Movies subscription! Analogue was so much simpler.

7. LukehMuse says:

Here you go Alexhttp://content6.flixster.com/photo/49/24/76/4924768_gal.jpgA sight I can never forget

8. Amy says:

I remember my mum taking me to see Beethoven in 1992. The movies still had 'intermission' then!

9. Journeyer says:

Mine was, oddly enough, Jurassic Park. There's even this funny story where my parents sneaked me in because I was 6 and the movie was rated PG-7, even if I almost busted them by almost telling the truth to the ticket lady. 😀

When this conversation came up at dinner the other day one of the other guests first movie was The Wizard of Oz. That may have been a while ago.

11. Sog says:

Santa Claus the Movie 🙂 It was the first film we saw at the cinema too. I also remember the Star Wars films, the Wizard of Oz, and Mary Poppins. I think we only watched TV at Christmas.

I'm fairly sure it was E.T. (to which I cried my eyes out at the end).

@fourstarI loved the story that Adam Buxton told about showing ET to his kids. He thought it would make them cry at the end but his boy turned to him and simply said, "ha ha, he hugged and alien, ha, ha"

14. Janna says:

The first film I remember is Chitty Chitty Bang Bang in the days when they showed films on a continuous loop and you watched from when you arrived until that point in the film came round again. I got confused that it was raining on the film but not when we went outside. My mother's first film was Disney's Snow White on its original cinema release!

15. beluga says:

The first film I remember is the Lion King, which my parents must have taken me to see at the cinema when I was about two?! Pretty bizarre but I remember the Simbaaaaaa bit. But then everyone likes disney when they're little 🙂

16. Pat W says:

I think it was Flight of the Navigator which is still being repeated even now. I'm sure I saw films before then but this is the one that sticks in the mind. I found that quite scary at the time, what with it being an automomous spaceship capturing things specimens (such as a boy).

17. Bassano says:

I remember waiting weeks for Star Wars to come to local cinemas instead of just London's West End. Dad took me when I was 5 or 6 and we queued around the block for tickets. There was a film about motorcross beforehand that bored me to tears."Dad, when is Star Wars on?" was heard a lot that afternoon in an "are we nearly there yet?" way Good times

18. Lou says:

The first film i can remember seeing when i was small was the disney film the Aristocats.. i think it's safe to say i was obsessed with that film when i was younger.it's probably when i started loving cats.. and probably geese too for that matter.

@JannaThe confusion of leaving the cinema and finding it's not night time after a daytime performance was always a big thing for me.

@belugaI remember the Lion King specifically as the first movie I felt I was too cool for school about. I thought I was so advanced that I didn't need to watch such kiddie movies any more. Just after I announced this my friend asked me why, if this was the case, I had cried at Aladdin the day before. I was devastated.

@Pat WThe Flight of the Navigator seemed really cool at the time I watched it. And seems quite decidedly naff now. I have no idea why. But I secretly love it because it was so cool when I watched it originally.

@BassanoIt wasn't BMX Bandits was it? Because that's my brother's favourite movie. Or rather it was when we were about 8. He must have made me watch it approximately a million times.

23. baggio says:

it was aristocats for me too, at cranleigh cinema, i can remember how exciting the big screen seemed in that huge, dark room…. my dad fell asleep. 25 years later and now he snores as well 😉

I think it's thingy, you know, where the ship goes upside down. What's i…The Poseidon Adventure, or whatever, yeah, that's the fella.Cool fillum.

And, by the way, some of your contributors are just too young to be allowed.No offence, like.