The lie in

I’m doing a lot of early morning writing in my attempts to make some progress on my novel (13% completed of the arbitrary number I first thought of – thanks for asking). This has led to Katherine and I disagreeing on a matter of principal that only you dear Internet readers can answer. What is a lie in?

For me it could be that you wake up and lie in bed reading your book or it could be that you usually have to get up at five thirty and today you get to sleep until eight.

Katherine, on the other hand, thinks that you only have a lie in if you’re awake and lying in bed. Not if you sleep in.

So which is it? You decide.

16 thoughts on “The lie in

Well, I hate to have to say it, but I think you’re right on this one (although you do seem to have forgotten all about the hyphen).A lie-in is actually mostly about sleeping – not setting the alarm, or setting it for later than usual.

2. igor says:

I’m concerned that your matter of principal may be a hang-over from your last school days post about Mrs Fallon. If you were to ask on the matter of principle… I would have to agree with you.

Curses, igor, I was about to point that out too…Anyway, a lie in is most definitely the act of being in bed after the time you usually get up. Any activity therein, be it sleeping, reading or playing battleships* is immaterial.* this is not a euphemism

On principal this surves to prove that I should always consult with my copyeditor before publishing. But as she’s Katherine I thought she might insert something like “but I know I’m wrong”.I like the way that on the first post in about a year that Katherine hasn’t read before publication every comment has mentioned something defective in my grammer!That’s job security money in the bank as far as Katherine’s concerned.

“Playing battleships” would be a great euphemism, though, wouldn’t it?

Yep 🙂

7. Kat says:

Even I don’t agree with me now! Why did I say that? It can only have been hypnosis so that Alex could be right and win.

Hurrah!

Oooh that’s a very exciting post from Katherine for another reason!!!

What’s the other reason?

It was the first comment by Katherine where she had a link to her new website on her profile…

12. Nick Ollivère says:

I have to say I agree with previous Katherine on this (if she ever did say it). A lie-in is a ‘lying in bed awake after your usual getting up time’, a sleep-in is ‘sleeping in bed after your usual waking up time’. Although, there has to be some middle term for when you wake, sleep, wake, sleep, throughout the morning, which is perhaps the nicest type.

No, no, that’s a terrible type. You go back to sleep after you wake up? That sounds like crazy behavior!

14. Nick Ollivère says:

It’s the only true lie-in, isn’t it? That way you get to enjoy both sleeping and waking.

I’m with Nick. Wake up, realise it’s early, go back to sleep, wake up later, perhaps make some tea, retire to bed with papers, read papers, feel tired, fall back to sleep, get up in time for lunch.Awesome. I think I might be able to do that in about 20 years’ time.

I’m not sure nick has ever been more wrong. If I don’t need to get up tomorrow, I’ll turn my alarm setting off,and think “ooh great, a lie-in”. Now that’s not going to be me lying in bed, awake. It’s going to be me sleeping, until I wake up, and then getting up.As for going back to sleep after waking up – that’s for if you wake up stupidly early, accidentally. Not for any other reason.And fourstar – just think great it will be after 20 years of looking forward to it!