What’s the strangest thing you are allergic to?

This is the continuing series of questions for you in the comments, here’s how it works. I’ll ask you a question, and you either answer in the comments or on your own blog and drop a link to the post.

Question:

What’s the strangest thing you (or somebody you know) is allergic to?

These days people seem to be allergic to all kinds of things. What’s the strangest one?

Here’s my answer:

My brother’s fiancée is allergic to lemons. Lemons? That seems really crazy to me. Why that seems stranger than being allergic to nuts, I don’t know. Maybe it’s just because it’s rarer.

So what’s the strangest thing you (or somebody you know) is allergic to?

12 thoughts on “What’s the strangest thing you are allergic to?

I’m allergic to nickel, but I suspect that’s probably quite common…

2. mattzilla says:

I’m allergic to an additive that used to be put in flavoured milk.

Though it’s actually been illegal to use it since the mid-80s so I don’t have to worry about it any more.

3. I don’t know if allergic is the right word, but several things can make me sneeze: strong sunlight, mints, red wine and beer.

4. Nick says:

I think I’m allergic to alcohol, every time i have it i have this funny feeling, and sometimes i cant remember whats gone on, the next day the symptoms get worse, i can even be reduced to being unable to get out of bed…

In all seriousness, i dont think i am allergic to anything, i dont like eating fish so sometimes i pretend i am allergic to that 😉

5. Tom says:

I’m allergic to evergreen trees. Fortunately it’s only a contact allergy, and only produces an itchy rash… but it still means I have to be fairly careful at Christmas…

6. emily says:

my mum is allergic to the bark of silver birch trees (amongst a myriad of other things)….we only realised upon moving to our house, which is surrounded by silver birches. 😛

7. Janna says:

I am allergic to the smallpox vaccine which is OK at the moment but you never know!

8. paul says:

I really don’t like tomoatos. Although I really like tomoato sauces. Does “not like” count as allergic?

9. Igor says:

It could be convenient to be allergic to things you don’t like, but real allergies can be a serious problem, so pretending is probably not such a good idea.

As far as food is concerned, it seems to be acceptable not to like something because of the texture; liver seems to be the commonest example where people like the flavour and can eat pâté but can’t stand the graininess of cooked liver. I have tried to claim that I have a texture problem with broccoli, but somehow it doesn’t seem to work.

Allergic to broccoli… who is going to believe that?

I sneeze when I have mints too! I thought I was the only one.

As we’re on a bit of a DIY tip at the moment, I was telling Mr C that last time I did wallpapering, I found I was allergic to the paste. Thinking about it now, I believe it was whatever you use to put tiles up. I was helping my parents tile the bathroom, my hands swelled right up and I wasn’t allowed to do it anymore.

Boo.

11. Lou says:

I’m only allergic to one thing (that i know of), which is guinea pig hair. I’ve no idea why it’s the only animal fur i have an allergy against, but it irritates my skin and eyes. Stranger still it just developed one day out of the blue lol

12. tumzy klung says:

dont know but ive had a runny nose for 28 years and am beginning to think im allergic to oxygen!