An intriguing proposal

I’ve always wondered what’s really going on with those people who propose in really public places. Are they doing it so that the event is memorable? And if so why don’t they realise that:

A) Getting engaged is a pretty memorable occasion, and

B) If you want to do memorable, why not go to a great but relatively secluded location?

I blame the movies. Actually I saw a pretty good compromise in Rome. A guy there proposed while at the colosseum. It was just big enough an occasion to fit the criteria but small enough to be okay if she hadn’t accepted.

I think it is a weird lack of self belief that causes some guys to invoke the jumbo-tron. They want to make sure she’ll accept and also commit themselves to going through with it. But what happens if even with all of that peer pressure she still says no? Well you’d have to kill yourself.

Or of course you could kill her instead. That’s what a Spanish guy did recently when he proposed to his girlfriend on national television. Of course it makes me think of a follow-up question – why do people write amusing posts about things that aren’t that funny? Well I’m afraid I don’t know the answer to that one.

7 thoughts on “An intriguing proposal

I went for Uluru (Ayers Rock) which is quite public but also has lots of inlets and outcrops which are secluded (and handily have benches at them). So we had the place to ourselves for the time it took for me to pop the question and for Solveig to say “Yes”, at which point a coach-load of German tourists marched round the corner and started taking pictures: Pic

I must say it always surprises me when I see Solveig with the different coloured hair of those days.

I think it surprised her at the time; it was not the intended colour!Also this story popped up today

It seems that at a recent Barnsley game, a female fan went onto the pitch at half time, sang and danced along to “Don’t you wish your girlfriend…” and then proposed to her fella, sitting in the stand. And he said no.That has to be one of the funiest things ever, really.

That story really has everything – or rather what it lacks (one of the people killing the other) improves it. As do the Pussycat Dolls.

Maybe he did have a girlfriend who was hot like the Pussycat Dolls. Unfortunately, not that one 🙂

On a slightly related note:At The Darts